R: R: [Zope-DB] ZODBCDA for Python 2.3.3

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 03:39:20 EST 2004

Hi Chris,

Chris Withers wrote:
>> I originally started using ZOPE because I could use it as a web
>> front-end for my MS Access databases.
>
> If you're doing that in any kind of production environment, you have
> bigger problems ;-)

Possibly - but not if used within it's (many, acknowledged) limitations.

>> I sort of feel deceived that that functionality was there and has been
>> dropped.
>
> It's not been "dropped", you could stick with Zope 2.6.4, or fix ZODBCDA...

True enough...

>> Now if I want to distribute my solution
>> to client sites, I have to tell them it's all opensource - *except* ...
>
> Except Access? And the Windows machine you run it on? Come on...

...but this, although I take your general point, is not so true.

If the client is a Windows shop, and either the database a legacy
desktop/work group RDBMS or you have the M$ Office Developer tools and
can redistribute Access (or MSDE for that matter - much better choice!),
there need be no /additional/ license costs involved in implementing a
Zope (or other Open Source) solution.

Such situations can be a quick win / foot in the door for Open Source in
a typical, conservative, organisation, and that's another good reason
for Zope to support that kind of use as Open Source.

Cheers,

PhilK