R: R: [Zope-DB] ZODBCDA for Python 2.3.3

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Fri Apr 2 10:25:36 EST 2004

On 2004-04-02 at 15:22:29 [+0200], A van Schie wrote:
> We could spend long discussions about whether this is right or wrong
> strategy
> but I like to leave that to managers. Next time I need some Web-based
> database application, I'll have to stick with Zope 2.6.4 or perhaps
> PHP/MySQL or so.

mm, is ODBC really the issue here? ie. is the database Access or MS-SQL?
Wouldn't something like PostgreSQL fit the bill and fit the philosophy
better?

There is nothing wrong with Zope 2.6.4!

In fact I don't currently have 2.7 in production anywhere. But this is a
red herring. Users of ZODBCDA say that the real problems are instability
and unreliability so simply recompiling it for Python 2.3 won't do. In fact
I think it's the problems associated with it that persuaded ZC to drop
support for it. We've discovered that there are lots of problems with the
(R)DBMS drivers which mxODBC is able to deal with.

Anyway the ball is very much in the community's hands...

I remember a discussion about ZopeDA's when Marc-André was working on the
first release of mxODBCZopeDA and discussions on this list about the poor
quality of the ZopeDA model. I think it was Matt Kromer who said: "yep, the
ZopeDA mechanism needs some work but so far nobody's committed themselves
to doing it."

Now, along with continuing to improve mxODBC (adding unicode, etc.) we are
also considering working on the ZopeDA model and providing a reference
implementation/specification of an improved one which we think would
benefit both our users and the Zope community as a whole far more than a
free version of the DA.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark