[Zope-DB] Problem Inserting German characters( ? ? ? ? ? ?) using DCOracle

Debojit Hazarika debojit.hazarika at db.com
Tue Aug 24 05:22:43 EDT 2004

FYI

----- Forwarded by Debojit Hazarika/Zentrale/DeuBaExt on 24/08/04 14:52 -----

                      Debojit Hazarika
                                               To:      Cynthia Kiser <cnk at caltech.edu>@DEUBAINT
                      24/08/04 13:37           cc:
                                               Subject: Re: [Zope-DB] Problem Inserting German characters( ? ? ? ? ? ?) using DCOracle(Document
                                               link: Debojit Hazarika)

Hello Cynthia,

Many thanks for your response.

Actually you exactly pointed out the area where the problem was. The below environment setting solved the whole problem.

export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1

Regards
Debojit (Deb) Hazarika
Senior Software Engineer
DSL Software Limited [ HCL Technologies - IBTO ]
DSL Tower, Block IV,
No. 123, "Shivalaya" EPIP Phase II,
Whitefield Industrial Area,
Bangalore - 560 066
Website : www.dslsoft.net / www.hcltechnologies.com
Ph :  +91-80- 51385448
Mobile : 09845418238

                      Cynthia Kiser
                      <cnk at caltech.edu>        To:       Debojit Hazarika/Zentrale/DeuBaExt at Zentrale
                                               cc:
                      24/08/04 12:37           Subject:  Re: [Zope-DB] Problem Inserting German characters( ? ? ? ? ? ?) using DCOracle

Sounds like you have a mismatch in character set between your html
forms and the database character set. Try to take the web
server/browser and html forms out of the equation for a moment. Can
you insert the same text into Oracle using DCOracle from the command
line? Is that with or without having NLS_LANG set in your environment?
Do you have the same setting in the script that starts your zope
instance? If all the command line stuff works, then you may need to
play with what characterset the Zope instance is using when displaying
and then processing forms. (I am hoping that just setting NLS_LANG
fixes it so you don't have to untangle that interaction.)