[Zope-DB] ZMySQLDA losing connections?

Ben Durbin ben at neurobs.com
Mon Jan 5 17:15:51 EST 2004

Hi list,

We've been running a Zope 2.6.2 instance with mySQL in a production
environment for the past year or so without a hitch. Recently, we've
been experiencing some strange behavior and I'm hoping that someone on
the list has either run into this issue, or can at least give me a hint
as to where I should be looking.

A few times in the past month, we've had situations where all of the
connections to the mySQL database seem to fail at once with similar
tracebacks. Restarting Zope from the web manager seems to solve the
problem temporarily, but it's starting to recur. Nothing related to the
mySQL or Zope server configuration has changed in months.

The traceback at the bottom of this message is indicative of the error
messages we start seeing.  What's common is the error type, message, and
offending line "Module Shared.DC.ZRDB.DA, line 399, in __call__"

The applicable lines in DA.py are:

         try: dbc=getattr(self, self.connection_id)
         except AttributeError:
             raise AttributeError, (
                 "The database connection <em>%s</em> cannot be
found." % 		(
                 self.connection_id))

399-->        try: DB__=dbc()
         except: raise 'Database Error', (
             '%s is not connected to a database' % self.id)

Since the except on line 400 is masking the exception thrown by dbc()
it's hard for me to tell if this is a problem with ZMySQLDA or MySQLdb.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Regards,

Ben Durbin
Neurobehavioral Systems

Error Type: Database Error
Error Message: sql_get_user is not connected to a database
Traceback:

Traceback (innermost last):

     * Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
     * Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 39, in call_object
     * Module OFS.DTMLDocument, line 131, in __call__
     * Module DocumentTemplate.DT_String, line 474, in __call__
     * Module DocumentTemplate.DT_Let, line 75, in render
     * Module DocumentTemplate.DT_Util, line 201, in eval
       __traceback_info__: REQUEST
     * Module <string>, line 2, in f
     * Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 252, in __call__
     * Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 283, in _bindAndExec
     * Module Products.PythonScripts.PythonScript, line 315, in _exec
     * Module Script (Python), line 16, in find_available_license
       <PythonScript at
/nbs_online/secure/license/scripts/find_available_license>
       Line 16
     * Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 252, in __call__
     * Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 283, in _bindAndExec
     * Module Products.PythonScripts.PythonScript, line 315, in _exec
     * Module Script (Python), line 8, in load
       <PythonScript at /nbs_online/types/user/load>
       Line 8
     * Module Shared.DC.ZRDB.DA, line 399, in __call__

Database Error: sql_get_user is not connected to a database