[Zope-DB] Zope on Windows + Microsoft SQL

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Jun 14 04:02:39 EDT 2004

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On Donnerstag, 3. Juni 2004 9:15 Uhr +0100 Chris Withers
> <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Justin M. Keyes wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to get Zope's data into a Microsoft SQL database?
>>

>> mxODBC from eGenix. But that supports ZSQL methods. It does not, AFAIK,
>> provide a ZODB storage. Although if you're determined to hurt yourself in
>> this way, have a look at APE ;-)
>

> The point is that you really don't want to use any RDBMS as storage for
> Zope
> for performance reasons. You want using a RDBMS either using APE or
> Archetypes+SQLStorage
> or ZSQL methods but not as replacement for FileStorage. FileStorage is
> fast, you can't beat it.

While that's true, there are often enough external requirements
or policies that require keeping all data in an RDBMS, e.g.
larger companies usually already have full-time DBAs and would
like to (re)use those resources to make sure that the data is
stored in the company policy compliant way.

Whether it's slower is secondary in such a case :-)

Since ZC is looking into actively supporting APE, eGenix will
probably move in the same direction for the mxODBC Zope DA
and look into providing better interfaces for the APE / mxODBC
interaction. (The Zope DA interface was not designed with high
performance in mind... something that we're currently looking
into.)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 14 2004)