[Zope-DB] slowness with ODBCDAs

Erik Myllymaki erik.myllymaki at aviawest.com
Sat May 22 13:09:34 EDT 2004

I am moving from:

Zope 2.3.2 on Windows NT 4.0, w ZODBCDA->MSSQL7.0 SP3

Zope 2.7 on Win2k w mxODBCDA/ZODBCDA->SQL Server 2000 SP3a.

The new server hardware is lightyears faster than the old one. The SQL
instances are both running on the same machines as the Zope instances.
The new SQL install is very responsive from other applications. Problem
is, SQL Server queries have terrible performance from within Zope. I
made an ODBC connection on the old server and pointed it to the new SQL
Server and the queries are fast. The new Zope install seems fast except
with DB queries. To be fair, I have used both mxODBCDA and ZODBCDA with
the same, slow results. A simple "select * from table" takes one second
on the old Zope talking to the new SQL server, but 18 seconds from the
new Zope server talking to the new SQL server.

Thanks.