[Zope-DB] slowness with ODBCDAs

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun May 23 15:08:00 EDT 2004

Erik Myllymaki wrote at 2004-5-22 10:09 -0700:
>To be fair, I have used both mxODBCDA and ZODBCDA with
>the same, slow results. A simple "select * from table" takes one second
>on the old Zope talking to the new SQL server, but 18 seconds from the
>new Zope server talking to the new SQL server.
>
>Can someone point me in the right direction?

You can try whether the queries take a similar time when
you perform them via Python. If so (and I expect it will
be the case), you can remove
DA ("Database Adapter") and Z SQL Method from
the candidate cause list.

I expect that your Python ODBC adapters try to connect in
a specific way that is slow on your machine.
I know not much about ODBC details, though.
In a different context, observations like yours often
result from DNS setup failures. But, probably "ODBC" does not
use DNS.

--
Dieter