[Zope-DB] RFC: mxODBCZopeDA & ZEO

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Tue May 25 10:34:41 EDT 2004

On 2004-05-25 at 16:22:39 [+0200], Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
wrote:
> Charlie Clark wrote:
> > 1) each Zope Product has to be installed and possibly configured locally
>
> Deployment of clusters is always "fun" ;-)

yes, maybe. Can it be improved?

> > 2) each DB has to be configured to accept connections from the various
> > clients
>
> See my previous comment ;-)
>
> > 3) heterogeneous clients may in some circumstances confuse each other
> > configuration
>
> How?

take the mxODBCZopeDA for example: if a connection is configured to talk to
DSN=Chris or use a specific driver then this may not on all clients.

> > In the case of a DB connection object it is arguable that a single
> > connection
> > object running a pool of connections probably to a DB cluster makes more
> > sense. Clients could be added at will without reconfiguration of the
> > server.
>
> Depends where the load in your syustem is. If it's rendering that's killing
> the
> speed, multiple Zope instances running as clients on seperate hardware makes
> things much better...
>
> But then again, I think I'm failing to understand the point you're trying to
> make :-S

This is an RFC targetted at those with real-life ZEO installations with
RDBMS. The example you cite is one where I think it might make more sense to
have a single connection talking to several clients which do the rendering.
But we don't really know how much ZEO is out there and how much of it uses
Zope-DAs. We know that the mxODBCZopeDA works with ZEO but maybe it could
work better.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark