[Zope-DB] Zope/Plone, interbase, and blob fields

Ashley Lloyd ashleylloyd at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 5 06:55:24 EDT 2005

Apologies if this appears twice - I initially sent from the wrong address!!

Hi, I've been having trouble updating BLOB (subtype text) fields from Zope.

I've a table with several fields, one of which is a blob. Creating a record
works fine, but when I attempt to update a record, I get an error. Initially
I used gvib, but recently (thanks to a lot of help from another list) I
changed to kinterbasdbDA, and I still get errors.
The errors I get are as follows:
Error Type ProgrammingError
Error Value (-413, 'execute.isc_dsql_execute: conversion error from string
"BLOB". ')
Error Trace Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program
Files\ESOPPlone\Zope\lib\python\DocumentTemplate\DT_Try.py", line 149, in
render_try_except
result = render_blocks(self.section, md)
File "C:\Program
Files\ESOPPlone\Zope\lib\python\DocumentTemplate\DT_Util.py", line 201, in
eval
return eval(code, d)
File "", line 2, in f
File "C:\Program Files\ESOPPlone\Zope\lib\python\Shared\DC\ZRDB\DA.py", line
428, in __call__
else: result=DB__.query(query, self.max_rows_)
File "C:\Program
Files\ESOPPlone\Zope\lib\python\Products\kinterbasdbDA\db.py", line 198, in
query
self.cursor.execute(src)
File "C:\Program
Files\ESOPPlone\Zope\lib\python\Products\kinterbasdbDA\kinterbasdb\__init__.
py", line 585, in execute
res = _kinterbasdb.execute(self._C_cursor, sql, params)
ProgrammingError: (-413, 'execute.isc_dsql_execute: conversion error from
string "BLOB". ')
I also get a similar error (same value & type) when just testing the SQL
method in the ZMI, even when the SQL that the method generates is just:
UPDATE ENTITY
SET EN_NOTES = 'Hello world'
WHERE EN_KEY = 12
The metatata of the table has the notes field definition as:
EN_NOTES BLOB SUB_TYPE 1 SEGMENT SIZE 80,
Any update that does not involve this field works fine, and the field can be
set to null, but it will not allow me to update.
I am running quite an old version of Zope - its from a Plone install.
Zope Version - (Zope 2.6.1 (binary release, python 2.1, win32-x86), python
2.1.3, win32)
Python Version - 2.1.3 (#35, Apr 8 2002, 17:47:50) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)]
System Platform - win32
I got quite a bit of help from the general list, but no-one could understand
why I was getting this error, especially when in one case, someone else had
a remarkably similar setup, and even sent me his database adaptor, and he
doesn't get the errors! I even removed all variables, and just tested the
SQL exactly as it was above (not generated by dtml-sqlvar tags at all), and
still got the errors.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance
Ashley