[Zope-DB] Typical size of result sets

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jan 12 10:38:11 EST 2005

Chris Withers wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>>> A "max_rows" value of "0" (which is senseless taken verbatim)
>>> is intended to get the complete set.
>>

>> What a poor design... instead of using 1000 as default, Z SQL
>> Methods should have used "no limit" as default.
>

> I'd stick in a bug in the collector. It should be fairly trivial to add
> some documentation to the form explaining what's going on.
>
> What about changing the default to 0 while we're at it?

That would be my preference as well. The fact that Z SQL Methods
default to returning at most 1000 rows is not well documented
and also well hidden in the Z SQL Method user interface.

People will likely not know about it and then get strange
results when doing queries on large database tables.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 10 2005)