[Zope-DB] Re: Typical size of result sets

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Fri Jan 21 09:40:36 EST 2005

On 2005-01-21 at 10:15:03 [+0100], Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
wrote:
> Charlie Clark wrote:
> > It's the working name for new ZSQL methods which will work with positional
> > parameters (preferably ? / qmarks) to provide more performance and
> > flexibility for SQL statements.
>
> Oh cool, can't wait to see it :-) Will it be OSS?

Unclear at the moment, but quite possible. It depends largely on the sense of
using it with other ZopeDAs, ie. support for positional parameters. There are
minimal changes to the DAs required but these will be clearly spec'd.

> I think the best thing to do is develop it as an add-onn product, if
> it's successful, it can then head to the Zope core (if you guys want to
> open source it ;-) and gradually replace ZSQL methods in the same way
> ZPT has replaced DTML.

This is the idea. The resulting product will be considerably smaller than the
existing one.

> Speaking of which, what scripting language does posSQL use for building
> SQL within posSQL methods?

I favour a ZPT approach and am thinking of something like SQL-Templates but
this I guess I need to start playing with it for more clarity. There were
some interesting discussions on this in the summer before an accident forced
me to put this work on hold.

Charlie