[Zope-DB] Connect to ms sql server from zope 2.8 on windows server

Jaroslav Lukesh lukesh at seznam.cz
Wed Jul 20 12:12:12 EDT 2005

Dne středa, 20. července 2005 16:50 "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com>
napsal(a):
> Jaroslav Lukesh wrote:
> > Third and the best one is the native access to MSSQL.
> >
> > http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2004-May/149810.html
>
> ... for some definition of "best" (see the comments on the MSSQL
> page: http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/mssql/) ;-)

Sorry, I use zope on Linux, so I forgot if it have some problems with windows
client side.

> Getting the Sybase ct-lib to work on Linux is a nightmare and is
> not well-supported, which is why the FreeTDS project was started.

??? I was have hightmare with FreeTDS... I was download and setup sybase (with
some Xwindow program), add lines into interfaces file like that public mssql
server I was use for testing:

dbpublic
        master tcp ether sql.aspweb.cz 1433
        query tcp ether sql.aspweb.cz 1433

> However, the original question was "how to connect to MS SQL Server
> from Windows": on Windows, ODBC is the easiest to setup and
> administer and it is well-supported by all database vendors, with
> regular updates, etc.

Sure, but I was get some bad things with parallel access into ODBC, so I was
get out from them. ODBC is great, but for development purposes or signle
user, not as general database connector (at windows).

> > Note, that I was sometime mentioned 4k text limit which I could not get
> > rid off - it is limit of MSSQL server via TCP interface, which could be
> > overriden with sql command (right in ZSQL method)
> >
> > 	set textsize 65535
> > 	<dtml-var sql_delimiter>
> > 	select datetype_text from table...
>
> If you do things like this (ie. use SET VARIABLE value), you should
> be aware that the setting will in many cases apply to the connection,
> not only the cursor you're using to run the query.
>
> As a result, other completely unrelated queries on the same
> connection will use the same settings. Things get even more
> complicated if you use connection pooling - the results
> are intermittent errors that are extremely hard to track
> down.

textsize is not as so strange variable...

> In short: Don't do this :-)

it is reccomended by Microshift ;-) because TCP connections have these limits
at MSSQL server side by default due, uahaha, mickeysoft security meanings.

--

                        Jaroslav Lukesh