[Zope-DB] Status and future of OracleStorage

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 02:14:56 EST 2005

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> 2) Write your code for a generic storage framework
> (persistent.Persistent).  Use Ape to store objects in databases other
> than ZODB.  If your code doesn't fit the generic framework,

Can you give examples of where this would be the case?

> The second choice is appealing, but applications often have intimate
> dependencies on storage mechanisms.  For example, ZCatalogs want to live
> in ZODB so they can have fast access to large BTrees.  Customer lists
> want to live in relational databases so ad-hoc queries are possible.
> Folders, images, scripts, and templates want to live in filesystems so
> you can grow a large collection or put them under version control.

I thought one of the aims of ape was to provide this flexibility while
still providing a storage-independent interface for application
programmers to sue without having to worry about where the data would be
stored. Is this still the case?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk