[Zope-DB] Oracle 9i, Zope 2.9.0 and Windows

Matthew Cahn matthew.cahn at bms.com
Tue Apr 4 17:09:46 EDT 2006

I was also hoping someone who uses Windows more than I do would build
DCOracle2 for Python 2.4.  I agree that one "right" alternative is
cx_Oracle.  (I'm not familar with Zope's ODBC adapter).

To answer a couple of Maciej's questions...

Yes, you would still need the Oracle client installed after building
DCOracle2.

No, you can't use a build from Linux under Windows.

Matthew

krokodylek at tenbit.pl wrote:

>Hi :-)
>
>I'm doing a commercial project on Zope 2.9.0 in which I have to read and write data to Oracle 9.2.0.4 database. It won't be a substitution for ZODB but something more of an import/export feature.
>
>I've looked pretty closely on Zope <-> relational database connectivity and I understand the concepts of Database Adapter, Database Connection and Z SQL Methods. I've played around a bit with Gadfly.
>
>I've found the wiki page:
>http://zopewiki.org/Oracle
>and it seems that DOracle2 would be the best thing for my needs (I only need simple inserts and querries, nothing really fancy). But as I see there is no binary for Python 2.4 and Windows.
>
>I've found a couple of howto's on compiling the extension but they're not easy or at least not for me, especially that I can't use the Ms Visual Studio :-( So before I take on the task I would like to ask for any suggestions (links are very welcome). Maybe someone has the adapter and could share it?
>
>Is the Oracle Client still needed after I've compiled the adapter? If I compile it in Linux is it possible to use it in Windows?
>
>As you've probably guessed I'm pretty newbie - but very much willing to learn :-)
>
>Please excuse my English.
>
>I will be very grateful for any help.
>
>Best regards,
>Maciej Zieba

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%  Matthew Cahn
%  Principal Systems Analyst
%  Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
%  Mailbox code: H23-05