[Zope-DB] mysql / zope db connection issue

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Thu Apr 6 11:53:46 EDT 2006

On 2006-04-06 at 16:34:01 [+0200], Jamie O'Keefe <jokeefe at jamesokeefe.org>
wrote:
> On 4/6/06, Charlie Clark <charlie at egenix.com> wrote:
> > This still should not be causing this problem. Jamie, you should be
> > talking
> > to the DBA or looking at the DB side of things.
>
> Well it is a volunteer operation, so we don't specifically have a dba,
> but will talk with the person who set up the db.
>
> > Is the DB running on the
> > same machine as Zope or on the network?
>
> Yes.
>
> > What are connection times set to?
>
> Do you mean the connection timeout time?

Yes. The default for these are very high which often causes problems for
applications that don't implement connection pooling. However, as I
previously said this is unlikely to be the source of the problem.

> > It might simply be that MySQL is running out of connections although this
> > usually means that the whole machine runs slow.
>
> We upped the # of connections and I have seen 51 connections open at
> one time.  Not sure the rate at which people are accessing the form
> and submitting it, but I believe it may be 25-50 a day.

At that rate there is no reason on the Zope side for the connection being
dropped. There could be a problem with the underlying Python driver and thus
the ZopeDA so you might want to install the latest version of both:

MySQL 3.2 is still supported.

But you should also run Zope in debug mode and see what gets written to the
error log.

Charlie