[Zope-DB] ANN: eGenix mxODBC Connect Database Interface for Python 0.9.1 (beta)

eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg info at egenix.com
Mon Jun 16 06:13:40 EDT 2008

ANNOUNCING
                     eGenix.com mxODBC Connect

                   Database Interface for Python

                        Version 0.9.1 (beta)

   Our new client-server product for connecting Python applications
          to relational databases - on all major platforms

This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-mxODBC-Connect-0.9.1-beta.html

INTRODUCTION

The mxODBC Connect Database Interface for Python allows users to
easily connect Python applications to all major databases on the
market today in a highly portable and convenient way.  This makes
mxODBC Connect the ideal basis for writing cross-platform database
programs and utilities in Python.

mxODBC Connect extends our eGenix mx Python Extension series with a
new client-server based product, that removes the need to install and
configure ODBC drivers on the client side. This greatly simplifies
setup and configuration of database driven client applications, while
at the same time making the network communication between client and
database server more efficient and more secure.

* About Python:
Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language which
runs on all modern platforms (http://www.python.org/). By integrating
ease-of-use, clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity
and rapid application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
platform for todays IT challenges.

* About eGenix:
eGenix is a consulting and software product company focused on
providing professional quality services and products to Python
users and developers (http://www.egenix.com/).

HOW IT WORKS

mxODBC Connect consists of two parts: a server installation which
typically runs directly on the database server and a client Python
package which is installed on the client machine that runs the Python
application.

The server part uses our high-performance database adapter mxODBC to
connect to the database server.

The client package communicates with the server part over a TCP/IP
network, optionally using SSL encryption, advanced authentication and
access controls - a feature that many database drivers fail to
deliver.

By separating the client application database interface from the
server and using mxODBC Connect, you gain several benefits:

  * high portability and flexibility
  * centralized configuration and administration
  * added security
  * automatic fail-over
  * scalability
  * lower costs

For more information, please have a look at the product page:

     http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBCConnect/

NEWS

mxODBC Connect 0.9 is a public beta release of our new mxODBC Connect
product.

If you would like to participate in the beta, please see our beta
program page:

     http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBCConnect/beta.html

*SPECIAL OFFER*

In order to make participation in the beta program more interesting
for our users, we will be giving out *free discount coupons* to all
participants who report back bugs in the product.

DOWNLOADS

The download archives as well as instructions for installation and
configuration of the product can be found on the product page:

     http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBCConnect/

SUPPORT

Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.

Please see

     http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

for details about our support offerings.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 16 2008)
2008-07-07: EuroPython 2008, Vilnius, Lithuania            20 days to go