[Zope-dev] [Zope] The big 3, and Zope initiatives for Linux Expo

jhauser@ifm.uni-kiel.de jhauser@ifm.uni-kiel.de
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:25:31 +0200 (CEST)

Great news about things on the horizon. Probably many of the current
zope-developers have in part the same goals, not a complete Portal in
the beginning though. Here are some questions regarding some subgoals.
I'm mainly interested in the ``Personal Areas''.

Brian Lloyd writes:
 > We plan to demonstrate this by reinventing the zope.org site,
 > using it as a demonstration and case-study of a portal site
 > that incorporates:
 >
 >   o Powerful information browsing and searching
 >
 >   o News items
 >
 >   o Issue tracking
Means this calendar and schedule? I thought of this as a good area
where acquisition could be used. The appointments for a department can
be acquired by the calendars of the employees. And the employees can
make their personal schedule with a folder-method of the Personal area
folder.

 >   o Community membership
Is this only achieved with permissions, or are there special methods
involved?

 >   o Community projects
 >
 >   o Personal areas that community members can maintain themselves
I think this will be a folderish object, right? I try to implement
something like this. But it is hard to make this general, because
there is currently no easy method, besides external methods to extent
the functionality of such products. Will it be possible to extent
products in zope, without making a new one. The problem now is, that
external methods need to be deployed at possible many locations.

 >   o Community involvement in the form of polls and discussions

but anyway, great to see all these new possibilities.
Thanks Zopistas :-)

__Janko