[Zope-dev] the birth of ZCommerce

Itamar S.-T. itamars@ibm.net
Wed, 04 Aug 1999 11:25:09 +0300

Josh Zeidner wrote:

>   Possibly NEITHER! (put that in your pipe and smoke it).  Maybe the
> inventory info can come from our accounting system?  That would be a feature
> not really offered by any existing commerce package- what most ecommerce
> packages attempt to do is EVERYTHING.  What the aim of this project should
> be is to offer a way to sell products that live in an existing system( such
> as Quicken or SAP ) and allow the process of marketing/retail to be
> automated through the net.  *Anything* that has to do with accounting should
> be the domain of the accounting system.

Until there is an open-source accounting package, this should not be the
only option.  It should be a option.  I do not want to have to depend on a
proprietary accounting program to store my products in, even if does run on
Unix.  Or perhpas the accounting package may not be designed for this kind
of thing.  So the design should be such that it also allows the inventory to
be stored in ZODB3 or in an SQL database.

--
Itamar - itamars@ibm.net