[Zope-dev] Re: Zope performance (and a little benchmark)

Petru Paler ppetru@bv.ro
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:00:28 +0300

On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 12:09:31PM -0400, Damian Morton wrote:

>     What I havent seen discussed in this list at all is performance. Is ZOPE
> ready for industrial strength usage? Can it truly compete with Vignette,
> Broadvision, etc etc (apart from on price?). Will ZOPE benefit from SMP? Has
> anyone run ZOPE clusters?

   1. Don't know about Vignette, Broadvision etc.
   2. Zope should benefit from SMP as it's multithreaded (even with that
global interpreter lock it still should do fine)
   3. Ask the digicool people to tell you more about ZEO if you want to
build a Zope cluster.
   4. A small benchmark to see how Zope scales under high load (yes I know
benchmarks are irrelevant, but...):

  Server: AMD K6-2/333MHz w/128M RAM running Linux (upgraded RedHat 6.0,
kernel 2.2.12-final3), Python 1.5.2 and a couple of other services which
were idle in the moment of the benchmark. UDMA IDE disk which can get
~10M/sec. Latest CVS Zope running with ZServer (no apache or pcgi in the
middle).
  Client: same as server but with 64M RAM (Linux, same distribution,
same kernel) running ApacheBench instructed to do 1000 requests (100 at
once).
  Network: 100Mbps, almost idle during the benchmark.

  Results: when requesting the default installation welcome page it gets ~46
hits/second. With the more complicated QuickStart page it does ~10
hits/second.
  The *really* interesting part was when I made another test with
conecurrency level=1000. The results were the same, so ZServer apparently
does not have scalability problems.

-Petru