[Zope-dev] Re: Zope performance (and a little benchmark)

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:23:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Damian Morton wrote:

> Hmm, 10 hits per second doesnt really seem that fast to me - especially
Well. It's 10 hits for a really complicated page. (The tree tag has to
activate all subobjects and collect the layout from them.)

So you should compare it more to .ASP, .cfm, .cgi or whatever mechanism
page that does a query (in the case of the QuickStart document in Zope
this is an object database, but it could also come from an SQL server.)

> given that here were no real bandwidth limitations in the test. That works
> out to about a million hits a day.
Well, some observations:
1.) 1-4 million hits per day are a nice site. How many sites do have this
    traffic?
2.) How many of these sites are implemented on an aging
    K6-233 with one IDE drive? (not even on a really fast IDE drive)
    More interesting for such a site would be a benchmark on K7-650 with
    more RAM and an U2W RAID array.
3.) The benchmark was out of the box: No tuning whatsoever. For example,
    ZServer by default starts ``only'' 4 threads. So with 100
    concurrent requests 96 requests are queued only.
    One would have to experiment to tune it a bit better.
4.) Another tuning sometimes possible would be a server-side squid cache.

> With the concurrency level thing. Are you saying that in the first test, you
> made 1000 requests, with 100 active at any given time, but then you made a
> second test in which you made 1000 requests all at once, and the results
> were that the server managed 10 hits per second on the more complicated
> page, i.e. it took about 100 seconds for the server to process both tests.
That's what I understood.

> What is ZEO? Z Enterprise Objects? I find no reference to ZEO anywhere on
If I may guess, this will refer to DC technique of linking ZOPE servers.
(This is practical not only for clustering stuff: Consider having your
 database on MS-SQL NT server. Now, your Webserver is a Linux box. How do
 you access the database? Well, by having another smaller ZOPE server on
 the NT box, which accesses MS-SQL via ODBC, and is accessed from the
 external ZOPE server.)

Side note: I've found, that the digicool website offers almost no
navigatable content about the commercial products DC has to offer :(

Andreas
--
Andreas Kostyrka                     | andreas@mtg.co.at
phone: +43/1/7070750                 | phone: +43/676/4091256