[Zope-dev] The viability of a Zope IDE

Eron woodsage@op.net
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:50:41 -0400

Hi, I have justed gotten started with Zope, and am planning on building
a major Zope product (http://www.bionode.com/cis). I know already that
this project is going to require a LOT of coding,
and was wondering if it would be possible to build a Zope IDE along the
lines of the Homesite/Coldfusion IDE by Allaire. I thought that a good
one could be built using a GUI like wxPython, and include a built-in
Python interpreter, online-reference, source editor for HTML, DTML,
Python, external methods, etc., a graphical  debugger, and an interface
to the actual publishing system, where you could manage content , users,
etc. DTML files and such could then be exported through the interface
with Zope and merged with the system (objects could be extracted, too).
I dunno if this is a stupid question or not - I'm still learning Python
and Zope, but it sounds like it could be neat, and I wouldn't mind
putting some effort into something like that.
Thanks for any feedback.

Eron.