[Zope-dev] I have a dream!

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 10:32:10 -0500

I believe a couple of people are working on such a project, they can
chime in on that.

> This combine with WEBDAV with so turning zope an ideal document
> management server. We would see that it point to very promising and
> creative use of zope. If zope is fast and stable enough, it can even
> play as an object file system.

It *is* an object filesystem, just not mountable by any other
applications ;).  Of course, they could happen, might even been a good
idea.

> I would like to re-arrange the recent zope (dtml) syntax to allow
> the use of dot (.) as object name ; a syntax like that xsl using to
> reference to objects in the zope tree; and a unified the naming of
> zope-defined variables and methods.

Why not integrate XSL into Zope?

> I would also like zope to handle true xml with full unicode support,
> changing zope syntax (dtml) to compily with xml so it can be
> processed by zope and other xml tools.

An XML version of DTML would be a good idea (or at least DTML that is
syntactically identical to XML) because of all the cool XML editors
that will soon come flying at us at high speed.

> I hope I am not asking for too much, but I can't hold to spell out
> my dream. The last wish is zope be compatible with both cpython and
> jpython.

This would be a pretty hard part of your dream to realize, someone
would have to think very hard about it and be very, very good with
both python and Java.  Remember, alot of the trickiest parts of Zope
are written in C, and almost all objects dabble their hands in
Acquisition, which is written in

While were on the subject, I have a dream too, people not sending HTML
encoded mail to the list. ;)

-Michel