[Zope-dev] I have a dream!

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 17:00:28 +0100

Michel Pelletier wrote:

> Sin Hang Kin [mailto:kentsin@poboxes.com] wrote:
[snip]
> > I recently notice zope have several xml products. I have a dream to
> > able to draw my web site with a WYSIWYG editor and save it as XML,
> > then, Zope convert it into a zope tree. This ever have advantage for
> > normal document, which, for example, if i need to cross-reference a
> > part, I could just specify an id for that part, and insert it with
> > dtml syntax.
>
> I believe a couple of people are working on such a project, they can
> chime in on that.

XMLWidgets (a product you can download) is an attempt in this direction
(though not exactly). There's a through-the-web semi-WYSIWYG XML (one
specific DTD only though) editor in there. It's still in severe alpha
state, though.

[snip]
> > I would like to re-arrange the recent zope (dtml) syntax to allow
> > the use of dot (.) as object name ; a syntax like that xsl using to
> > reference to objects in the zope tree; and a unified the naming of
> > zope-defined variables and methods.
>
> Why not integrate XSL into Zope?

If ever I get time I do want to look at integrating Fourthought's XSL
stuff into Zope. Unfortunately I've said the 'If I get time' thing about
about 400 projects right now, so don't hold your breath. :)

Note that more plans/focus on better XML integration into Zope would be
strategically good for digicool too.. I've heard rather little after the
initial XMLDocument flurry (hint hint). Of course there's XML export,
XML-RPC, SOAP, and so on, but those are for interoperability (using
XML). What I'm thinking about is more XML related Zope products, things
you can make web pages from.

[snip more]

Regards,

Martijn