[Zope-dev] local/set

Sat, 11 Dec 1999 14:20:48 +1100

>>> Lalo Martins wrote

> > dtml-let solves a problem: it's a much nicer way to spell _.namespace()
>
> You answer yourself.

Hm, I should have made it clear that the post I made wasn't necessarily
advocating one thing over another, but was more pointing out some things
that I see as issues.

> dtml-local is IMHO wrong. But dtml-set should be added, it fits
> naturally. Or, in your words, is a much nicer way to spell
> REQUEST.set.

Is it? Not according to Phillip's original post - set is for changing
values in the current local namespace. REQUEST.set is a different thing
altogether. It doesn't worry me that REQUEST.set has to be spelled out
explicitly, as this highlights quite clearly what's going on...
(Aside: It seems to me that one of the more common uses of REQUEST.set
that I've seen is as a sort-of global namespace that's useful for
stuffing temporary values into. It's the reason I did the session code -
(ab)using REQUEST in this way seemed bad. Ok, so the sessions also
suffer from this a bit, but they're a nice fit for so many problems.)

local/set seem like they need to both be in, or neither. Allowing
set to modify any namespace strikes me as dangerous.

Anthony