[Zope-dev] Re: ZODB3 Database question/server tuning

Jason Spisak webmaster@mtear.com
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 08:44:29 -0800

Zopists,

I'm not sure who to ask this to so I'll throw it out and see if anybody
knows.

As far as disk/server performance and the Data.bbb file, it's not like a
traditional RDB as far as disk performance and speed goes right?
Assuming I'm not connecting to any backend DB's, is it just one large
file always in the same place?  With the advent of ZODB3 how does Zope
handle many people asking for different protions of the database?

(I don't think my question is clear yet, I'll keep trying:)

Does Zope store the entire Data.bbb file into memory if it can?  In
which case lots od RAM matters and hard disk speed doesn't accept for
start-up.  Are there lots of random reads/writes to disk if say 150 are
all creating records at the same time and searching, etc...?  Or are the
writes to disk sequencial because it's only one file (Data.bbb)?

I'm sure this is quite confusing.  Sorry.  I'm trying to see what the
best server tuning would be for Zope.  Thanks for your patience.

All my best,

Jason Spisak
webmaster@mtear.com