[Zope-dev] Globally Unique Object Ids

Jason Spisak webmaster@mtear.com
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 11:54:14 -0800

Jim,

Alexander had a thread going about this on zope@zope.org and it looks
like Michel has answered to the effect that a persistant object like a
property is thread safe.  I just discovered that the reason it wasn't
adding to the counter was possibly bug related and due to a <!--#call
"Catalog.manage_Catalogobject()"--> call.  It seemed to not allow the
DTML page to process, but didn't give me a traceback, it just processed
the rest of the page.  It works now that I use and external method for
Cataloging.  I'm going to use the counter because it's not complex, and
I just need a way of knowing that there won't be an already exists error
when creating objects.  I want object id's not to be the responsibility
of the user.  Autocreation of the id's seems easiest this way.
Although globally unique identifiers have more power when doing the kind
of Cataloging, referenceing stuff I'm doing.  How hard would it be to implement?

All my best (sorry for the long reply)
Jason Spisak
webmaster@mtear.com