[Zope-dev] Questions for ZOPE gods: Acquisition, etc.

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:57:15 -0400

> I've been poking around in the 2.0.0a4 sources to allow
> subsiting (Folder
> in existing Zope + Domainname == Subsite ;) ), and I've developed some
> questions, that probably not many people will be able to answer:
>
> -) Is there anywhere documentation about Acquisition? How
> exactly is it
>    intended to be used, etc. I've been reading the source
> code, so I think
>    I'm breaking the Acquisition chain the right way at the
> subsite level,
>    but thinking and knowing are different words. ;)

Check out:
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Reference/Acquisition

> -) I've actually done the ZPublisher subsite patch twice, and in both
>    cases (dirty and the newer almost clean version), I get permission
>    denied problems for my subsite folder. Now, after looking at the
>    Application object and the Subfolder object, I'm getting
> the impression
>    that a Folder cannot be the toplevel folder of a Zope
> database, right?
>
> Andreas

Right - the top level object is actually an "Application" object,
which is mostly like a Folder but contains some other necessary
things. That is probably also the root of your authentication
problems - note also that intentionally breaking the acquisition
chain will also likely break security, which is pretty intimately
tied to Acquisition.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909