[Zope-dev] XML Document appendChild questions

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:01:40 -0700

At 08:35 PM 7/27/99 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>Paul Prescod wrote:
>> The more important point is that a single element cannot have two parents.
>> You should clone it.

Thanks for this clarification. I'd like XML Document to adhere to the DOM
spec as much as possible.

>Yeah, but that isn't supported by XML Document yet. :) Perhaps the newer
>version is, and if it isn't, I'll look at trying to add it (first I want
>to see the new version has it, but then I need to be able to get my
>hands on it).

True, clone along with many other DOM write methods isn't supported by XML
Document yet. I bet it would be real simple to implement. BTW, we should
have CVS access to XML Document soon...

There are some interesting issues related to the idea of Document nodes in
Zope now that with ZDOM all Zope objects are considered DOM elements.

Vanilla Zope objects are elements with the Zope root object being the
Document node.

However XML Document objects want to be their own documents. Hmm. I'm not
sure what kind of problems this will present...

-Amos