[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] DA Roadmap

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 00:32:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Christopher Petrilli wrote:

>     SOLID Database Adapter (v2.0.0)
Not knowing exactly what the problems are here, but SOLID as such uses
only ODBC. Also under Unix. So one ODBC package that supports UNIX based
operation should cover this.

In practice I've done the following and it worked quite well:
-) I've created an AdabasD Python DB module by just editing the included
   headers (SOLID and AdabasD disagree upon the capitalization of
   WINDOWS.H :( ), and removing one of the more special isolation levels
   that ADABAS does not support.
-) So in practice one ODBC kind driver for Unix (even without an ODBC
   manager) could cover at least ADABAS D and SOLID, and probably all
   other DBs that do provide ODBC access for Unix. I'd have to check but I
   believe the newest versions of PostgreSQL (>6.5) do this too. :)

>     Relation to UNIX Platforms
>
>       Many people have asked about ODBC support on UNIX, and this is the
>       solution.  What this provides is the ability to link directly with an
>       SQL/CLI compatible library without having to deal with the issues of
>       an ODBC Driver Manager.  In addition, we hope that this will also
>       reduce the performance impact of the driver manager.
Well exactly my idea ;)

>     Where support has been discussed, please understand that we will try
>     and provide support on an as available basis to all comers, however we
>     can not guarantee support response times and effectiveness to any
>     non-paying customers.  This should be taken into account when
>     selecting a DA.
Well there is always the community. And certainly, it's all Python code,
and Python code is rather nice to maintain even yourself ;)

Andreas
--
Andreas Kostyrka                     | andreas@mtg.co.at
phone: +54/1/7070750                 | phone: +43/676/4091256