[Zope-dev] CatalogAwareness?

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 07:16:58 +0200

At 04:34 31-7-99 , Michel Pelletier wrote:
>David Kankiewicz wrote:
>> Suggestion for editCatalogForm....
>> I was trying to get "editCatalogForm" to list available Catalogs (that what
>> be better then Typing a name of a Catalog, especially if you don't know the
>> name), but I'm too new to python and Zope to get it to work.  That brings
>> up, does each ZCatalog create a new Catalog and what would that name be??
>
>It's up to you to name your Catalogs whatever you want.  CatalogAware
>assumes 'Catalog'.  Amos pointed out that this is a bit silly, cuz when
>you change the id of your Catalog, you'd have to change all the
>instances too.  So beta 2 will probably first try to acquire a property
>which contains the name of the Catalog you want all CatalogAware objects
>to catalog themselves with.

Yeah, but if you wanted to change it on an Instance by Instance basis,
using the editCatalogForm, why not list all available catalog objects using
<dtml-in "superValues(['ZCatalog'])">? Or even better yet (until
sub-ZClasses are recognized), specify what meta_type to look for, because
people will subclass ZClasses and give them a new meta_type.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer