[zope-dev] zope/apache - external product writing to a file system ?

PP Jose C. Lacal jose.lacal@volks-pc.org
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 02:21:25 -0700 (PDT)

When will you release the product?

Also, what about the opposite effect:
- An external method that **reads** existing HTML
files from the file system?

The possible application?

Letīs say I host my website with a hosting service
that does not support Zope directly. Yet, if I am able
to install Zope on my personal disk space, I could get
Zope running (on port :81, say) and then Zope would
read and write the HTML files to the filesystem.

The point: using Zope to *maintain* my site, through a
web interface that is a lot friendlier than FTPing
HTMl files up to the web hosting service.

Just an idea.

Regards.

--- "Dr. Ross Lazarus" <rossl@med.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

> We're running zope 1.10.2 under apache.
>
> Briefly, my question is - What's the easiest way to
> convince apache/zope
> to allow an external method to actually write some
> files somewhere - do
> I only need to ask my friendly (!) sysadmin to
> adjust some apache
> permissions or is there more to this ?
>
> Details - In order to get a static html
> representation of a zope folder
> and subfolder objects, I thought I'd write myself an
> external method
> which walks the folder structure and tries to write
> the dtml stuff to
> the file system as a static mirror of the dynamic
> zope site.
>
> Problem. Everything seems to work fine except that
> all of the file
> writes fail - IOError 13 - permission denied.
>
> I thought I'd be sneaky and tried using the zope/var
> directory assuming
> that apache was stopping zope from writing to any
> arbitrary directory.
> No joy - zope too smart to allow me to do that.
>

> I'll release it as a contributed product if I can
> get this sorted out.
> (Yes, wget already does this but we've had some
> interesting problems...)
>
> --
>
> Dr Ross Lazarus
> Associate Professor and Sub-Dean for Information
> Technology
> Faculty of Medicine, A27, R126a, University of
> Sydney,
> Camperdown, NSW 2006, Australia
> Tel: (+61 2) 93514429 Mobile: +61414872482
> Fax: (+61 2) 93516646 Email: rossl@med.usyd.edu.au
> http://www.health.usyd.edu.au/people/rossl.htm

===

[PP] Jose C. Lacal