[Zope-dev] Converting databases

michel@digicool.com michel@digicool.com
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:10:33 -0600

I hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but I tested the first round of
Jim's database conversion script today.  The first run was not
sucessful, due to the laxer nature of ZOSB2's transaction format.
After scoping that bug, Jim fixed things so that my ZODB2 database
converted cleanly into a ZODB3 one.

The script can be found in the latest CVS in the utilities directory.
The command is:

python1.5.2 bbb.py -f input.database output.database

We would like some people to test this against their ZODB2 databases,
but PLEASE:

 - be careful.  Back up *all* of your data to a safe place before
 attempting it.

 - report any conversion bugs or tracebacks to the list and
support@digicool.com.  We are interested in your experiences with the
script.

 - we only recomment this for 2.0 alpha users who have a nice fat
 ZODB2 database they want to convert over.  This is *not* stable
 software.  This is the very first revision.  It will probably break
 for some people, we want those people to help us improve it, but
 please come into the experiment with the intention that something
 will go wrong, and *send in those bug reports* we do pay attention to
 them.

Thanks!

-Michel