[Zope-dev] int'l zope

Thilo Mezger thilo@eevolute.com
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:22:42 +0200 (CEST)

hi!

thanks a lot for all the feedback on my suggested ZIP (zope int'l
project).

from what i can see now there are two different needs:

1. contents depending on client's wishes (e.g. client requests interface
in his native language).  this requires heavy changes in the zope code to
evaluate HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET/LANGUAGE etc.

2. contents depending on server: you could set a Language property on a
folder and make its contents behave in e.g. a german way (DateTime object
will be output in a german format, thousands will be separated by "." and
decimals by "," and <!--#var money fmt=whole-dollars--> will not output
"$123" but "123,- DM" or something).

the second suggestion seems to be a lot easier to implement and i guess
this is where we should begin.  my python-1.5.2 has a "locale" module
compiled in and therefore a lot of information about date/currency formats
can be handled with this module.

i could set up a separate mailing list on our server but i still need a
couple of people to discuss how to implement this language switch.

cheers
thilo