[Zope-dev] How to update products?

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:27:02 +0200

At 09:49 24/06/99 , Thilo Mezger wrote:
>hi!
>
>i was wondering if someone has already developed a strategy how to update
>products in zope.
>
>for example, you are running a site that uses the Confera-1.2.0 product
>and it is populated by several thousands of messages.  now DC releases a
>bug-fix version 1.3.0 of this product.  you can put that in your
>lib/python/Products folder, restart zope and newly created confera's
>will be version 1.3.0 of course.
>
>but how can i update my old and running confera system from 1.2 to 1.3?
>
>an instance from the (here) Confera class is created when you create a new
>Confera object in the management interface and the class definition is
>saved with this instance somehow?!  unlike zclasses.
>
>could anyone shed some light on this problem/phenomena please?

That's the nice thing about Zope. It stores the Confera _data_, not copies
of the Confera program. Updating from 1.2.0 to 1.3.0 doesn't affect the
messages stored in your Zope system. Any further use of Confera (be it new
or existing instances) will include the new features.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer