[Zope-dev] regex vs. re

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 09:04:12 -0500

Why do DocumentTemplates and ZPublisher use regex instead of re?  Since re
is thread-safe and regex isn't, wouldn't it make sense to move things in
the 're' direction?  Or is Python 1.4 still being supported for these
packages?

One reason I ask is that I'm about to begin using regular expression in
ZPublished code, and I'm wondering whether there's some special reason I
should use regex instead of re.  (Aside from the fact that it would mean
not loading two different regular expression libraries, of course.  :) )