[Zope-dev] Does Notmail work with Zope 1.10.3 ?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:40:27 -0400

Your two NameError tracebacks means that the AUTHENTICATED_USER object
that gets passed into the NotMail DTML is not an imapUser object, but
probably a regular Zope User object.

First off, 1) are you logging into NotMail from a *seperate* browser
than the one you're tweaking the manage interface in?  If not, then
NotMail will fail to authenticate you (because the browser says your a
zope user(the manager), not an imap user (which Zope should have no idea
about)), and acquisition will kick in, thus autenticating you against a
higher up user folder and returning a regular Zope User object instead
of an imapUser object as it's expecting.

Another possbility is that you don't have the roles set right in the
folder which contains NotMail, and that you have a user in Zope with the
same userid and password as the imap user you *want* to authenticate as.
So, NotMail challenges you, you enter the imap user id and password, it
fails because the roles are set wrong, and then the same thing happens:
NotMail steps up to a higher level folder and successfuly autenticates
you there (because the two users have identical information) and returns
NotMail a regular Zope User object, instead of an imapUser object.

You should have a role in the NotMail folder called 'NotMail' or
'IMAPUser' (or whatever you configure in the NotMail's IMAPAdapter) and
that Role should have the Access Contents Information, View, Browse
NotMail, Browse IMAPAdapter,and NotMail User permissions.

If either of these is the case, it is a bug in NotMail to step up to a
higher level user folder (which I suspect is what's going on) to
authenticate, since 99% of the time it is worthless to try and
authenticate against any other user folder other than the IMAPAdapter.
Also, NotMail should intelligently know to add it's own Role and
correctly set the permissions... but it doesn't.

There probably won't be much official work on NotMail for a while,
you're welcome to hack away at it.

-Michel