[Zope-dev] RE: [Zope] Some tough questions about zope... (long)

Richard Wackerbarth rkw@dataplex.net
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:19:13 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Paul Everitt wrote:
> Tony wrote:
[...]
> > h) We also need resources such as QuickTime movies, images PowerPoint
> > slides etc. to be uploaded - would they sit in the database or can
> > they be held somewhere else (and what happens about file name
> > conflicts)?
>
> We put them in the database.  The 3 Mb Zope binaries are served out of
> the database, the PDF files are served out of the database.  This works
> so well I don't even think about it any more.

Would you address the "to be uploaded" aspect. Unfortunately, from the
Zope POV, not all information formatters are written on Python.

I certainly don't want to reinvent wheels. As a result, I need to do
automatic dynamic replacement of content. "Including" a file which has
been generated by the external program is certainly easier probably
more efficient than generating the file, importing a copy into the
database, and serving it from there.

Mentally, I look at a file system as an implementation of a database
which has structured keys and is efficient at supplying large "results"
(the file) from the (path) key.

Perhaps we should implement file access through such a model.