[Zope-dev] Zope 2.1.0 beta 1 caution - please read

Anthony Pfrunder s341625@student.uq.edu.au
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:00:29 +1000 (GMT+1000)

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Brian Lloyd wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> We (DC) have run across a bug in the 2.1.0 beta that has
> given us some grief on the zope.org site, and I wanted to
> post a caution to those folks currently using the beta.

Oh dear - so that's what I did!

To provide further info on this bug - it occurs when a Python base class
defines an attribute the same name as an attribute / property of the
ZClass based on it.

What *appears* to happen is that it attempts to pickle the base Class
attribute with the result that the database is corrupted.  The following
methods of recovering data don't work:

	* UNDO the transation - either I packed it or it packed it for me
	* DELETE the instances - Zope segfaults
	* ACCESS the instances - Zope segfaults
	* RECOVER (by shifting dates or whatever) the data - doesn't work

So, how do I fix my database??

Cheers,

Anthony Pfrunder