[Zope-dev] Updated: VisualStudio Product

Anthony Pfrunder s341625@student.uq.edu.au
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:33:33 +1000 (GMT+1000)

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Michel Pelletier wrote:

> I downloaded it and couldn't make head or tail of it.  The files wanted
> to be named VisualStudio_Core and Examples.  I sniffed them a figured
> they were .zexp, so I imported VisualStudio just fine into my Control
> Panel.  I tried to import Examples but it said it was truncated.  I
> tried twice.

Hmm, I think it uploaded correctly - I'll download it again and try it.

> It seems to me that if the Examples contain required material (it says
> 'required') that mabey they should become classes in the Product itself,
> and start to develop a 'standard' widget set.  Widget's just smell like
> classes to me.  Granted I have no idea how your Product works at this
> point, but I want to try it!

Ahh, that was a design decision!  I _HATE_ having to make things via the
Control Panel because you cannot tailor it.  For example, say you have:

	Zope
	  + Marketing
	  + Accounts

Zope contains company wide "widgets" while Marketing and Accounts each
contain "widgets" applicable to their areas.  In additional, people can
have permissions to use and add widgets.  A "widget" object is like a
zclass and it is instanced within a form via:
	<widget parameters></widget>

> Can you and Martijn give quick 10,000 ft overviews of your products?
> I'm going to d/l martijn's right now.

I've fixed it - it should work now!

10,000 ft overview? Think Visual Basic and Frontpage through the browser
using cross-browser javascript.  See my previous posts for more detail.
VisualStudio is just a dump of an actively developed product.

PS: I'm getting a few emails that people cannot see VisualStudio under the
"Products" page on zope.org.  Anyone else have this problem?