[Zope-dev] FYI: Browser javascript rendering differences

Anthony Pfrunder s341625@student.uq.edu.au
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 13:07:24 +1000 (GMT+1000)

Hi,

In patching some code over the weekend I discovered some differences in
how browsers display error messages etc.  Although not strictly zope
related I think it may be of use to some people.

When displaying a page with a reference to javascript code:

	<script language="javascript" src="mymethod"></script>

where mymethod is a DTML method which contains a traceback Netscape will
display the traceback regardless of the main referring page.  Internet
Explorer will IGNORE this javascript reference completely.

If you view the source of a page containing javascript code Netscape will
show the page AFTER the javascript code has been applied.  Internet
Explorer will show the page BEFORE the javascript code has been applied.
So, if you have a script:

<script>document.write("mystuff")</script>

Netscape will display: mystuff where Internet Explorer shows
<script>..</script>.

Furthermore, both browsers will show the source of
the last CORRECTly rendered page.  So, if you have a javascript error and
hit refresh and then view the source the last correctly rendered page is
shown - not the current one.

This is entirely separate to the completely different DOM's implemented by
Netscape and Internet Explorer.  Hopefully this will save some people
going bald debugging cross-browser javascript generated by Zope.

Cheers,

Anthony Pfrunder