[Zope-dev] WebDAV with IExplorer

Rik Hoekstra hoekstra@fsw.leidenuniv.nl
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 23:14:42 +0200

Some time ago I wrote a post about the problems IExplorer causes with
WebDAV in Zope. For instance when copying a number of files to a
"WebFolder", sometimes files are not copied, or not copied properly.
Perhaps not much of a problem, but anyway too much of a problem if
you want to use it for end users. Not using Win/IE is no solution as
most users are using Windows _and_ IE is currently the only WebDAV
client available.

(Nobody seems to care, however, as no-one replied. Oh well,
cluttering the list further on my own then.)

Today, I discovered that at least part of the problem was related to
a known (to pythonwin users anyway) very annoying 'feature' of
Win95/98/NT: case (in)sensitivity. For example, if you create a
folder 'foo' within a Zope WebFolder, it is created allright.
However, Win95 converts the first character of its filenames to
uppercase, even if it shows them in lowercase !?!?!. So you end up
with a foldername in your webfolder which shows as if it were lower
case (and the http request apparently asks the server for a lower
case folder name), but in Zope it is with a capital  first character.
Manually changing the name of the Zope folder to all lower case will
solve the problem. However, if you copy a tree of items (with
folders/directories in them) the same problem occurs again -
hampering the effective use of WebDAV.

A few remarks:
- I don't think changing the case of the folder in the webfolder will
change anything
- perhaps some of the Windows ftps clients could be suffering from
the same problem???

Rik Hoekstra