[Zope-dev] Zope hacking help

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:10:06 -0700

At 04:29 PM 9/10/99 -0300, you wrote:
>One day of hacking Zope made my head dizzy :-( pdb was no help,
>neither grepping for everything I could think of.
>
>And so many components to check... ZServer, medusa, ZPublisher, aaagh!
>
>Can someone help me to the point where Zope decides what object
>to serve, based on the URL, and the point where this object is
>processed (eg, if it's DTML)?

This is pretty complex, but the short story is that ZPublisher locates the
object to publish with the HTTPRequest class. A published object in general
is published by calling it and passing the marshalled input variables.
DocumentTemplate objects are published as methods of their container.

I'm working on a much more complete description of object publishing for
the forthcoming Zope Developer's Guide.

-Amos