[Zope-dev] Y'all asleep in here?

Dody Gunawinata dody_g@eles.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:08:37 +1000

David Kankiewicz wrote:

> Michel Pelletier wrote:
> >
> <snip><snip>
> >
> > I am thinking heavily about this very problem as we speak.  You all
> > correctly pointed out some of the toughest of the problems.  Here are my
> > ideas so far:
> >
> > Have 'vocabulary objects' store the stopwords, synonyms, stemming rules,
> > and lexicon (collection of uniquely indexed words) in a drop-in object
> > for ZCatalog.  This way, a 'French', 'Dutch' etc. vocabulary object
> > could be developed by a third party.
>
> Sense this is a ZCatalog issue, and ZCatalog looks like it might be used
> alot in large sites, what is the feasibility of the Wordnet project's
> data and data model being used to enable "Smart Searching" for "future"
> multilingual searching. The stopwords would be up to Zope and if the
> EuroWordnet data was available then that language could be searched just
> like english.
>
> EuroWordnet project is creating wordnets databases in something like 21+
> languages. (Their main site is not working...)
>
> the Wordnet project's site is:
> http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/
>
> there is a python API for Wordnet avialable at:
> http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~steele/sources/wordnet-python.html
>
> Just wanted to get the idea out and see what you think??? (Sense we're
> all asleep, I might not get any responses :)

It's huge..wow..great stuff..

one thing that bugs me, how do you tell a piece of software which
language does 'a word' belong to ? An additional syntax is probably
needed in the search string for a large site that contains multi
language documents. Something like "via Real Madrid[english]", which
would only search the word in the "english" context.

Then again, how do you give the Content of your site a language context
(document especially, HTML file probably thru Meta tags). So that the
search would only need to be performed in the content that suits the
language context.

dody