[Zope-dev] what you see and what dont is all dom

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:20:41 +0200

At 16:54 17/09/99 , Damian Morton wrote:
>I guess my experience is with sites that tend to get up to a million of
>hits a day. In this case, the DOM is slowly changing wrt to the queries.
>However, even in a lower demand situation; a situation in which the
>changes outstrip the demand, the dataflow scheme still has advantages. You
>are still only rendering that which needs to be rendered, which is
>generally a good thing. You can also get more sophisticated about your
>dataflow, mixing a feedforward with a demand-driven scheme based of usage
>statistics. If a given tree is demanded more frequently than it changes,
>then it is rendered as its inputs change. If the tree is changed more
>frequently than it is demanded, then it should be rendered on demand.
>In this way the scheme is adaptive with respect to both demand and design.
>I do think, however, that in most places, in most websites, the parts that
>change as frequently as (or more frequently than) they are demanded will
>be small in number and scope. About the only things I can think of that
>might fall in this category are time-based elements, and non-deterministic
>elements.

In Zope, the inputs to a rendered document depend on the acquisition path
taken, and there is an unlimited number of combinations. I don't think that
a dataflow scheme is therefore applicable to Zope.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer