[Zope-dev] PROPOSAL: Site objects

The Dragon De Monsyne dragondm@integral.org
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 18:13:02 -0500 (CDT)

	Hmmm. this sounds like an idea I've been toying with too..
I wasn't going to do a Product, tho. I  was intending to do some deep
level hackery to  Zope itself to add a VirtualHosts item to Zope's Control
Panel. This would have two tables. The first mapping vhost names to Zope
paths, the  second mapping physical (IP) addresses to vhost names (I.e.
saying 'If there is no HTTP_HOST for  ip x.y.z.w, use foo.bar.com' _OR_
'for requests coming in on ip 1.2.3.4 _always_ use bar.baz.com, no matter
what HTTP_HOST says')

The mapping rules in the two tables could be made protocol specific too,
so a given vhost alias could affect  HTTP requests, but not FTP requests,
for example. (or have one alias  map http://bar.com to /users/bar and
another map ftp://bar.com to /users/bar/PublicFiles using ZServer)

PS: Annoying Zope nit. did you know that you can't bind ZServer's FTP
channel to a specific IP ?! At least not last I looked. HTTP yes, but not
FTP.

	-The Dragon De Monsyne