[Zope-dev] announcing the Fortune product

Lalo Martins lalo@webcom.com
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:40:08 -0300

Perhaps zope-dev isn't the best place to announce a Product,
but what the heck, it's a ``beta'' and I don't want end-users
end-using it ``en masse'' yet :-) It adds a <dtml-fortune> tag
that is replaced by a random fortune cookie. You may also do
<dtml-fortune linux linuxcookie> to select only cookies from
these two files; inexistent filenames are ignored.

The Product is based on ZippyTag code. You have to have fortune
files from the BSD fortune util hanging around; the standard
location is /usr/share/games/fortunes because that's where the
Linux FHS says it should be, if you want them elsewhere edit
fortunesetup.py.

The inspiration for the Product comes from Squishdot.

Uh... it's optimized for speed, so it first randomizes on the
file, then opens the file and randomizes on the cookie. Anyone
objects to this? I figured delaying a lot of seconds while I
open a ton of fortune files wouldn't be desireable.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.