[Zope-dev] TreeTag

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:55:37 -0500

Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com>

> <RANT>
> Now that's the collector has been opened up you can see that certain
> things have stagnated ;-)
> If you search for TreeTag, you get seven items.
> One is a patch fixing a problem I have (which is still there in 2.1.6),
> another is a patch fixing a
> problem I didn't know about, and one adds some really useful functionality.
> They are all between 4 and 8 months old and yet all except one are still
> 'pending'
> Even with DC's limited resources that's not very good...
> </RANT>
>
> There must be a better way, personally I'd like to know how I can help
> and get these patches into the next point release as quickly as possible.
>
> Any ideas?

As the guy who opened the Collector, and who is actively wading through it
at the moment, I can sincerely say, "I feel your pain."  I am working on
Collector issues, prioritizing them for the next several releases -- patches as
always get priority (assuming we can understand them, of course).  We are
actively working on ways to enable more community in the
evaluate/integrate/test cycle, but are obviously not there yet.

> PS: I was just about to go and fix these problems myself, so I'm very
> glad the collector has opened up ;-)

I'm glad that opening it up helped you.  If you'd like to "vote" for a patch,
try it out on a scratch Zope, with a copy of your "real" Data.fs, and verify
that it doesn't raise any new problems, and that it fixes the reported problem.
Send me mail, with the issue #'s in the subject, and let me know that it worked
(or not -- and patches to patches are accepted, too :)

Tres.

P.S. I have two of the tree-tag patches (#913/1045) checked in already.

Tres Seaver  tseaver@digicool.com   tseaver@palladion.com