[Zope-dev] Re: Zope hanging (poss. threads-related)

Dr. Ross Lazarus rossl@med.usyd.edu.au
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 19:37:32 +1000

Fired up 2.1.6 with default threads. (This particular installation used
to crash at least once a day until I set single threaded mode)

Assaulted it using this example code for 15 minutes or so with multiple
IE5 clients behaving as badly as I could make them - no sign of core
dump or a restart.....not sure if this is helpful or not. I didn't try
multiple ip addresses for all the clients - all were on my workstation.

I think it was worth the effort even though it didn't break anything -
one thing we really need is a reproducible way to make this problem
appear. As Amos has said, the problem may lie deep in the bowels of the
applications running on top of zserver. Given that there was mention
that freebsd installations seemed immune, we have the the Linux thread
libraries to content with as well as all the zope code running at crash
prone sites..anyone got this happening with an old linux install? I only
have access to redhat 6.1

I've added a comment to Marcus's wiki page for collecting data on this
problem - suggest anyone else with the problem does the
same...http://www.zope.org/Members/tseaver/Projects/HighlyAvailableZope/DiagnosingHangProblems

Sigh. Back to single thread. Gak.

Tres Seaver wrote

--

Dr Ross Lazarus
Associate Professor and Sub-Dean for Information Technology