[Zope-dev] Transparent folders?

Federico Di Gregorio fog@mixadlive.com
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:43:19 +0200

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Martijn Faassen's letter:
> Michel Pelletier wrote:
> > > you need to override the entire subfolder and copy over *all* layout
> > > elements.
> >
> > Ya lost me right there, where is there a copy involved?  Why can't you
> > put your Foo layout components in a FooLayout folder in the root folder
> > and say:
> >
> > <dtml-with FooLayout></dtml-with>
> >
> > When you want to use them?
>
> You can't exploit acquisition so easily then. You can use a FooLayout folder.
> Now you suddenly (for some bizarre reason) want to support a Dutch version of
> the site in some seperate subtree, with different texts, images, and so on.
> But not *everything* is replaced. You want to change some of the stuff in
> FooLayout, for instance 'header_html', but not all of it. I can't simply
> reate my own FooLayout in /dutch, and put my own header_html there.
> I'd need to copy over *everything* from FooLayout to make that work.
>
> Of course there are some ways around that, but they all seem to be a hassle
> compared to what's possible with acquisition.

use the Translator product. it lets you acquire (trasparently) from different
folders based on the value of the HTTP_ACCEPTED_LANGUAGES header or of a
cookie of your choice. or use the ChamelonFolder product (more generic.)

but the ability to have transparent folders would be great. no more 2 or 3
dtml-with at the start of every page just to keep the root folder clean...

ciao,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio