[Zope-dev] Cache-bug in handling of files

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:55:37 -0400

> I have fileobjects where I store pdf-files. If I want to change the
> pdf-file I use the method "manage_upload". The problem is
> that if I try
> to view it it always choose the one that is in the cache. It displays
> the new one if I open it in a new window or if I save it to disk. The
> filesize and everything else is for the new file.

That sounds very suspicious - what are your IE cache settings?

> This points to a bug report and after serching for it I found it:
>
> [754] Zope Bug: Uploaded Images Don't Appear Immediately
> Category: General Last Updated: Oct 29, 1999 7:05 am
> Submitted On: Oct 12, 1999 3:58 am Status: Ongoing
> Reported Version: 2.0.1 Expected/Fixed Version:
>
> The strange thing is that this is still Ongoing after almost a year
> since it was submitted!

This bug report was related to the fact that the user was
accessing the file through a Squid cache and that at the
time (Zope 2.0.1) there was a legitimate bug in the way
that "If-Modified-Since" headers were handled. Squid was
actually returning the file to him. It should have been
marked completed quite a while ago (I just did that).

I am using IE 5 (5.00.2314.1003), cache settings set to:

"Check for newer versions of stored pages:
  x Every visit to the page

...and I cannot reproduce the problem that you are
describing :( Are these your cache settings? Are you
accessing the server through any kind of proxy?

Thanks

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909